SOURCE: Northern TrustDESCRIPTION:
Northern Trust offers a series of Business Resource Councils (BRCs), employee-initiated and governed groups that increase education and awareness through engagement-based activities. BRC participation is voluntary and open to all employees who are interested in the mission of the group. Each BRC is sponsored by an executive leader who advocates for the group internally and externally. The groups work with our DE&I team to align initiatives to the BRC pillar framework, DE&I strategies, and corporate priorities.
Our BRCs support our culture of engagement through programs and initiatives centered around professional development, assisting in attracting diverse talent, providing diverse insights to the business through focus groups, and enhancing cultural understanding across our employee population.
In 2020, with most of our employee population working remotely, the BRCs’ programming and initiatives shifted to a virtual setting, allowing for expanded employee participation as well as opportunities for BRC collaboration across the regions.
A few key programs and initiatives included:
- International Day for Persons with Disabilities: Observed annually on December 3rd, this day promotes the rights and well-being of people with disabilities. Led by the Disability BRC chapters globally, we marked the date across our Northern Trust offices with a number of programs including a global disability inclusion panel event in partnership with Disability:IN Chicagoland, educational seminars with Humanity and Inclusion in Manila, and a session on the power of storytelling with international disability rights advocate Joanne O’Riordan.
- Pride Month Commemoration: The Pride BRC chapters across the globe commemorated the month of June with initiatives focused on allyship, awareness and advocacy. Highlights include our India and Ireland locations winning the Global Ally Gamification challenge sponsored by Pride Circle; North America hosting a month-long learning series focused on “Breaking Down the Acronym;” and offices across the APAC region hosting LGBTQ+ 101 workshops for managers. To show virtual support for our internal and external communities, many of our employees, including our CEO and members of senior management, inserted a Pride flag filter over their Northern Trust profile pictures. Additionally, employees participated in the Rainbow Around the World virtual Pride Parade.
- World Mental Health Day: The impact of COVID-19 on the mental health of millions of people globally gave 2020’s World Mental Health Day on October 10th particular significance. Recognizing the importance of mental health to the well-being of our employees, we encouraged our employees to support their own well-being, practice self-care and learn where they can access help and support when they need it. Programming included workshops on stress management and mindfulness, virtual yoga sessions and a global broadcast featuring a mental health expert and psychologist discussing the pandemic’s impact on mental well-being and where to get expert help.
Northern Trust's Business Resource Councils:
- Advancing Professinals Resource Council (APRC)
- Asian Leadership Business Resource Council (ALBRC)
- Black Business Resource Council (BBRC)
- Disability Business Resource Council (DBRC)
- Latin Heritage Leadership Council (LHLC)
- Leveraging Experiences and Perspectives Business Resource Council (L.E.A.P.)
- Living in Fullness Everyday Business Resource Council (L.I.F.E.)
- Military Assistace and Appreciation Resource Council (MAARC)
- NT Pride Business Resource Council (NT PRIDE)
- Women in Leadership Business Resource Council (WILBRC)
- Working Families Business Resource Council (WFBRC)
Read the full report here.
Tweet me: .@NorthernTrust offers a series of Business Resource Councils, employee-initiated and governed groups that increase education and awareness through engagement-based activities. https://bit.ly/38vdSvT
KEYWORDS: NASDAQ:NTRS, Northern Trust, CSR Report